Org chart software is a program used to easily create and manage an organization’s hierarchy. It can be used by individuals in businesses of all sizes to visualize their company’s structure as well as to track employee roles and responsibilities.
There are a number of different org chart software programs on the market, each with its own set of features. So how do you decide which one is best for your organization?
In this article, we reviewed 9 of the best org chart software solutions based on their pricing, features, and user reviews. Read on to see which org chart software could be best for your business.
What Is the Best Org Chart Software to Use in 2022?
Here are the top picks for the best org chart software solutions in 2022 and beyond:
- OrgChart Now
- Microsoft Visio
Best for growing teams
SmartDraw is an excellent option for growing organizations that need to create complex org charts quickly and easily. It offers a wide range of features, including automatic formatting, linking to data sources, and the ability to share charts online.
SmartDraw also offers a free trial, so you can try it out before committing to a paid subscription.
Personally, I like that SmartDraw offers automatic formatting. This is a huge time-saver when you’re creating org charts, as it takes care of the tedious task of aligning and spacing elements for you.
- Intelligent Formatting: Shapes may be added, deleted, or relocated without affecting the layout of your diagram.
- Powerful Integrations: SmartDraw can be seamlessly integrated into your tech stack, including Excel, PowerPoint, Google Sheets, and Google Slides.
- Visio Import and Export: Easily move your data around in just a few clicks without distorting any information.
- 70,000+ Types of Diagrams: Choose from a wide variety of diagram types, including org charts, floor plans, mind maps, and more.
- Automations: Streamline your workflow with features like automatic formatting, data linking, and sharing.
- Intelligent formatting sets SmartDraw apart from everybody else, saving you a bottomless well of time and effort.
- Affordable and flexible pricing.
- World-class customer support.
- Free trial.
- The vast number of features and tools may be overwhelming for users looking for a quick way to create an org chart.
- The UX could be more intuitive—users report issues with too many tabs popping up when using the platform.
SmartDraw provides flexible pricing plans to make the solution accessible for organizations of all sizes:
- Individual ($9.95/mo per user): This basic pricing plan unlocks the core features.
- Team ($5.95/mo per user): This service package is great for small teams and includes advanced access controls and collaboration tools.
- Site ($2,995/year per user): The package is tailored to large companies, including features like SSO and custom branding.
Why we recommend this tool: SmartDraw makes the process of creating and managing org charts so much easier with its intelligent formatting.
Perfect for management
Lucidchart is a great org chart software solution for teams that need to collaborate in real-time on organizational diagrams. It offers features like version history, commenting, and chat integration to make collaboration easy.
Lucidchart also offers a free trial, so you can try out the platform before committing to a paid subscription.
Personally, I like Lucidchart’s real-time collaboration features. Being able to see who else is working on the same diagram and leave comments is really helpful when you’re trying to get everyone on the same page.
- Real-time Collaboration: Multiple users can work on the same diagram at the same time, with changes being reflected in real-time.
- Smarter Creation of Diagrams with Data: Easily move your data around without losing any information.
- Integration with Leading Platforms: You can combine work with other programs by integrating Lucidchart with Microsoft Office, Atlassian, Slack, etc.
- Enterprise Scaling: Lucidchart was created to help your company collaborate more efficiently, whether you want to boost sales or develop new cloud architecture.
- Users may create an organizational chart online with Lucidchart in a few simple steps.
- Commenting and chat integration are provided to make collaboration easy.
- Lucidchart Software helps you create and update your organization chart quickly and with minimal effort.
- Free trial.
- The interface might be confusing for some users.
- Some features can be hard to find.
Lucidchart offers you several plans at reasonable prices and with excellent characteristics:
- Free ($0/mo per user): The free pricing plan offers basic collaboration and integration tools and provides a limited number of editable documents and professional templates.
- Individual ($7.95/mo per user): This basic plan gives you access to the core features.
- Team ($9/mo per user): This plan is offered for a minimum of three users in the team and includes advanced collaboration tools and basic admin control.
- Enterprise (need to contact for a quote).
Why we recommend this tool: Lucidchart provides the ability to easily manage charts in real time.
Best for beginners to create charts
Gliffy is a great org chart software solution for those who need an easy way to draw diagrams. It offers an intuitive drag-and-drop interface that makes it simple to create org charts without any prior experience.
Gliffy also offers a free trial, so you can try out the platform before committing to a paid subscription.
Personally, I like Gliffy’s ease of use. The drag-and-drop interface gives beginners a chance to easily develop their chart-making skills.
- Diagram with Ease: Easily reposition different shapes, creating live and interactive charts.
- Import and Export: Create and export new diagrams from scratch. Import and edit old designs.
- Powerful Collaboration Tools: Quickly sort those who can see, comment, or edit as soon as possible.
- Integrate with Atlassian: You can use and edit visual elements in Jira and Confluence.
- Gliffy offers different kinds of diagrams and flowchart software for every project.
- Any team may use Gliffy’s business-grade diagramming software to visually exchange thoughts.
- Free trial.
- When used for free, Gliffy requires the diagrams to be public.
- There are some account restrictions.
Gliffy provides attractive pricing plans with numerous benefits for users:
- Professional ($6–$10/mo, depending on the number of users): This plan is for individual users or for medium-sized teams. Advantages include unlimited access to diagrams and templates, round-the-clock support, commenting, and private sharing.
- Enterprise (need to contact for a quote): This plan is designed for big companies and teams. Enterprise is endowed with the same characteristics as the Professional level, as well as moderately easy management controls, single sign-on (SSO) integration, and more.
- Gliffy Diagrams for Jira ($3.80–$10/mo, depending on the number of users): This is a great alternative to adding diagrams to Jira tickets for better communication. In addition, the intuitive user interface makes it easy to build diagrams, flowcharts, and wireframes in Jira with a single click.
- Gliffy Diagrams for Confluence ($3.80–$10/mo, depending on the number of users): This plan is designed to add diagrams to Confluence pages while providing easy access for use and increasing productivity and collaboration at the same time. Gliffy provides the ability to export diagrams in multiple formats, built-in editing of your team diagram, and secure management of permissions via Confluence.
Why we recommend this tool: Gliffy gives the ability to easily manage diagrams and create different kinds of charts just in one click.
4. OrgChart Now
Perfect for company executives
OrgChart Now is a great org chart software solution for those who need to create organizational charts. It offers an easy-to-use interface that gives new users a chance to create org charts without any prior experience.
OrgChart Now also offers a free trial, so you can try out the platform before buying a subscription.
Personally, I like OrgChart Now for its simplicity. The interface makes it really easy to create org charts, even if you don’t have any experience.
- Sharing and Collaboration: Integrate with Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive for easy collaboration, and export diagrams in multiple formats (PDF, PNG, JPG, SVG) for easy sharing and printing.
- Real-time: Publish your org chart online for quick viewing and accessibility.
- Different Types of Diagrams: OrgChart Now offers a wide variety of templates and symbols to help you create professional org charts.
- OrgChart Now offers an easy-to-use interface that makes it easy to create org charts. This is the only charting tool that lets you modify charts manually or via data-driven rules.
- The platform offers a free trial, so you can try it out before committing to a paid subscription.
- OrgChart Now offers a wide variety of templates and symbols to help you create professional org charts.
- OrgChart Now doesn’t have the advanced features some of its competitors offer, like org chart sharing or exporting to PowerPoint.
There are three paid subscription plans:
- Basic ($9.95/mo): The Basic plan is perfect for small businesses and includes all the essential features you need to create org charts.
- Professional ($19.95/mo): The Professional plan is best for medium-sized businesses and includes all the features of the Basic plan, plus additional features like real-time updates and online sharing.
- Enterprise ($39.95/mo): The Enterprise plan is best for large businesses and includes all the features of the Professional plan, plus additional features like security controls and data import/export.
Why we recommend this tool: OrgChart Now is definitely worth considering. This tool allows you to create beautiful graphs for your team to use. Plus, it includes a free trial and a variety of templates to assist you with creating professional-looking charts that you’ll like using.
Best for hyper-growth companies
Monday.com is a great tool for creating organizational charts that can also be used for a variety of other tasks.
It also offers an intuitive interface that makes it easy to use and edit org charts with little or no prior experience.
Personally, I recommend Monday.com for anyone who wants to create professional-looking diagrams without having to spend too much time learning how to use a complex platform.
- Intuitive Interface: Monday.com’s easy-to-use interface makes it simple to create professional-looking charts without any prior experience.
- Integration: Monday.com connects with popular productivity apps like Slack, Trello, and Asana for easy collaboration and integration.
- Monday.com has a wide selection of different tools to help you manage your organization’s data effectively.
- An intuitive interface makes it easy to create professional-looking organizational charts.
- Additionally, Monday.com has a free trial period for users.
- The free trial period does not last long.
- Extremely crowded menu, which sometimes requires digging.
Monday.com has a free trial and three paid subscription plans:
- Basic ($8/mo per user): The Basic plan is perfect for small businesses and includes all the essential features you need to create org charts. It has 5 GB file storage, prioritized customer support, and unlimited items, and you can create a dashboard on one board.
- Standard ($10/mo per user): The Standard plan is an excellent tool for anybody who wishes to make professional-looking charts. This plan contains the features of the previous one plus guest access, calendar view, automations, and integrations (250 actions per month); it also allows you to create a dashboard that combines up to five boards.
- Pro ($16/mo per user): The Pro plan includes the Standard plan features plus private boards and docs, chart view, time tracking, formula and dependency columns, more automations and integrations (25 000 actions per month), and the ability to create a dashboard that combines up to 10 boards.
- Enterprise (need to contact for a quote): This plan is for teams seeking enterprise-level features. The Enterprise plan contains the Pro plan features and also multi-level permissions, premium support, and the ability to create a dashboard that combines up to 50 boards.
Why we recommend this tool: Overall, Monday.com is a great tool for anyone who wants to create professional-looking charts and stay organized at the same time. If you’re looking for a practical platform that’s also packed with features, then Monday.com is the choice for you.
Best for insurance companies
Organimi is perfect for creating and editing org charts.
Its uncomplicated interface makes it simple to create professional-looking charts without having any prior experience, and it offers a wide range of features to help you manage your organization’s data effectively.
Personally, I recommend Organimi for anyone who wants to create charts with relative ease by providing a market leading.
- Wide Selection of Templates: Organimi offers a wide range of templates to help you create customized charts quickly and easily.
- Easy-to-use Interface: Regardless of your prior experience, you’ll be able to use Organimi to create charts with no trouble.
- Drag-and-drop Functionality: Organimi gives you the option of creating organizational charts by simply dragging and dropping employees into their appropriate positions.
- Organimi has a free trial period for users, so you can try it out and see if it’s the right tool for your needs.
- Organimi offers a wide spectrum of features to help you effectively manage your organization’s data and make it simple to create professional-looking charts.
- It lacks some features that are available in other org chart software, such as the ability to print or export the org chart.
- The free version is very limited, and users will need to upgrade to a paid subscription to get access to all the features.
Organimi has a free trial period and two paid plans:
- Basic ($10/mo per user): The Basic plan includes all the essential features of Organimi, including a wide selection of templates, drag-and-drop functionality, and an easy-to-use interface.
- Premium ($20/mo per user): The Premium plan includes all the features of the Basic plan plus regional hosting options, unlimited admins, and access to Backup Snapshot and Matrix Charts.
Why we recommend this tool: Organimi features rich organizational charts at an affordable price.
Great for small business companies
Smartsheet is a simple, powerful tool for creating and managing organizational charts. It’s the ideal option for small firms looking to keep their operations running smoothly. With its simple design and a wealth of features, it’s perfect for any company looking to stay organized.
Whether you’re new to organizational charting or have extensive experience with similar tools, Smartsheet is a great choice for you.
Personally, I like Smartsheet for its easy, dynamic work with charts and its simple-to-use tools.
- Team Collaboration: With Smartsheet, you can easily collaborate with your colleagues to create and manage organizational charts.
- Interactive Automation: You can set up automations to help ensure that your organizational charts always stay up-to-date.
- Mobile Access: With Smartsheet’s mobile app, you can check in on your organization’s data and make changes from anywhere.
- Integration: Smartsheet integrates with a wide range of other tools so that you can easily access your data and keep things organized.
- Smartsheet is simple, easy to use, and packed with features.
- The free version of Smartsheet is available for a week, and it allows you to test the program out before signing up for a paid plan.
- Smartsheet’s mobile apps make it easy to stay on top of your organization’s data from anywhere.
- Smartsheet is simple, even for those who have no prior experience with organizational charting tools.
- If you want to share any document with more than ten users, you have no choice but to “upgrade” to the next level.
- Smartsheet doesn’t offer as many features as some of the other tools on this list.
- The free trial is rather brief.
Smartsheet has three paid plans:
- Pro ($7/mo per user): The Pro plan includes all the essential features of Smartsheet, such as team collaboration, automations (250 per month), and mobile access in real time.
- Business ($25/mo per user—minimum of 3 users): The Business plan has unlimited automations and collaborators who can view and edit; and activity log; proofing; mobile access; and brandfolder integration.
- Enterprise (need to contact for a quote): The Enterprise plan includes all the features of the Business plan plus load balancing and custom branding options.
Why we recommend this tool: Smartsheet is a simple, inexpensive organizational charting solution that’s ideal for small enterprises.
Perfect for business managers
The Microsoft Visio org chart software is used to create org charts for businesses. However, Visio can also be used for other purposes, such as creating floor plans, network diagrams, and process flowcharts.
Visio is a bit more expensive than some of the other options on this list, but it’s still a great choice for ongoing development. Microsoft is actively developing Visio, so you can be confident that the software will continue to evolve and improve over time.
Personally, I like Microsoft Visio because it’s easy to use software.
- Many Features: With Microsoft Visio, you’ll be able to create just about any kind of diagram or chart you can imagine, from flowcharts and process diagrams to floor plans and network diagrams.
- Reasonable Prices: Microsoft Visio is a bit more expensive than some of the other options on this list, but it’s still a great value for the features and functionality that you get.
- Regular Updates: Because it is in active development, you can be confident that Visio will continue to evolve and improve over time.
- Microsoft Visio is easy to use and offers a spectrum of services that can meet all your diagramming needs.
- The regular updates make Microsoft Visio an especially good value for businesses looking for an all-in-one org chart solution.
- While Microsoft Visio does offer some free templates and resources, the service is more expensive than some of the other options on this list.
- The options are limited when it comes to customization and integration with other software.
There are four versions of Microsoft Visio:
- Visio Plan 1 ($5/mo per user): Visio Plan 1 includes all the essential features of Visio, such as the ability to create org charts, flowcharts, and process diagrams, and it allows you to work virtually with the Visio web app.
- Visio Plan 2 ($15/mo per user): Visio Plan 2 includes all the features of Visio Plan 1 plus the ability to create floor plans, network diagrams, and 3D diagrams. Power Automate, Power BI, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint integrations will help you go above and beyond diagramming.
- Standard ($309.99/one-time purchase): The Standard version consists of all the essential features of Visio, such as the different types of business diagrams, together with basic shapes and templates that may be downloaded for free.
- Professional ($579.99/one-time purchase): The Professional version includes all the features of the Standard version, plus the ability to make diagrams that support standards such as BPMN 2.0, IEEE, and UML 2.5.
Why we recommend this tool: If you’re looking for a powerful and flexible org charting solution that can meet all your diagramming needs, then Microsoft Visio is definitely worth considering. Whether you need to create flowcharts, process diagrams, or network diagrams, Visio has the features and tools to get the job done.
Best for IT companies
Freshteam is a popular and highly rated org chart software that allows you to create and manage your company’s HR database.
Freshteam makes it easy to build comprehensive employee records that include things like past performance appraisals, contact information, skills and training, remuneration details, and more.
Personally, I appreciate Freshteam’s powerful and user-friendly organization chart software.
- Detailed Employee Records: With Freshteam, you’ll have access to detailed employee records.
- Easy-to-use Interface: The software’s easy-to-use interface makes it simple to operate.
- Making HR Impactful: This program contains applicant tracking systems, virtual onboarding, etc.
- Freshteam is a comprehensive HR software that includes everything you need to manage your employee records, from contact information to performance reviews.
- The org chart feature makes it easy to visualize your organization’s hierarchy and see where each member of your team fits in.
- Free trial period.
- Reasonable prices for plans.
- Poor filtering capabilities.
- The free trial is far too restricting.
Freshstart offers a variety of pricing options to make the service available for businesses of all sizes:
- Growth ($1.20/employee/month billed monthly + $71 platform fee/mo per user): This service package is good for small teams and allows them to manage unlimited employee documents, Interview Scorecards, and Kits.
- Pro ($2.40/employee/month + $119 platform fee/mo per user): The Pro Plan is designed for businesses with a lot of growth. It offers everything in the Growth Plan and unlimited options.
- Enterprise ($4.80/employee/month + $203 platform fee/mo per user): The Enterprise Plan has everything in the Pro package as well as more complex options.
Why we recommend this tool: Freshteam is a helpful organizational chart software that allows you to quickly create detailed employee files while also providing an easy-to-understand view of your company’s hierarchy. Freshteam can assist you in making HR more impactful for your organization by providing an applicant tracking system, virtual onboarding tools, and other helpful features.
What Are the Benefits of Using Org Chart Software
Organizational charts are an important tool for any business. They help define the roles and responsibilities of employees, and they can be used to plan for the future growth of the company.
Org chart software makes it easy to create and update org charts so that they always reflect the current state of the organization.
- It’s a visual way to communicate an organization’s structure.
- It shows the relationship between people, projects, and tasks.
- It reduces employee confusion about company hierarchy.
- It can be used for work planning, performance reviews, and succession plans.
- It makes it easy to see where there are gaps in skills and knowledge.
5 Things You Need To Look For in Org Chart Software
When looking for org chart software, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Here are five of the most important:
- Ease of use – The software should be easy to use so you can create and update charts quickly and easily.
- Flexibility – The software should be flexible enough to handle changes to the organization structure so you can always keep your chart up-to-date.
- Reporting – The software should provide reporting features so you can track the progress of projects and identify areas where there are gaps in skills or knowledge.
- Integration – The software should integrate with other business applications, such as HR and project management software.
- Price – The software should be affordable so it doesn’t strain your budget.
The Wrap Up
If you are looking for a way to improve the efficiency of your workplace, then org chart software is a great option to consider. There are many different org chart software makers on the market, so be sure to do your research before selecting the one that will work best for you.
With the right org chart software, you can make your workplace more efficient and improve communication channels within your organization.